Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What it's been like

In a bizarre turn of events, I found myself in Virginia this week. Now that I’m back in Rabat, drinking mint tea in a café by myself, I can’t really wrap my head around the fact that I was taking a walk with my parents the night before last.

Maybe it’s because I brought some flannel back with me but it feels a little like Autumn here too. It’s got me feeling cozy and introspective.

While I was home for a few days, I had the interesting situation of processing out loud something I’m still in the process of doing. It was an exercise in finding out how I feel, hearing myself say things and realizing I meant them. Well, yes it IS going well. Yeah, I guess I DO like it. Now that you ask me, I AM glad I came here.

I think that’s why I’m having a hard time keeping up over here in the blogosphere. It’s not really in my nature to document something in the present. It seems tenuous, considering how moody I can be. And when I go to write, what comes out isn’t what I’m presently experiencing but what I’ve been thinking. Things totally (or seemingly) irrelevant to my surroundings: making French Onion soup in Nashville, my poetry professor in college who began every class by striking a gong, a weird memory I have of crying at October Sky as a kid and not knowing why.

But at the same time I know I should get over that because it’ll be over before I know it, appearing in odd-shaped, amorphous blurs when I go to write about some other future present.

So here’s a taste of what the past two months have been like:

 



 




















 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing. It is also difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that six days ago, we hugged good bye. But such is life. What beautiful words and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete